Sunday 12 June 2011

Button steals victory at Canadian GP

Jenson Button secured arguably the greatest win of his Formula One career at the end of an epic Canadian Grand Prix.
It was a rain-hit race that had everything, but it boiled down to the last lap just as the clock had also hit the two-hour limit.
Reigning champion Sebastian Vettel was hounded into making an error by Button, sliding wide at one stage to open the door, with the 31-year-old needing no second invitation.
Button then made it to the line for a sensational victory, the 10th of his career, and first since last year's Chinese Grand Prix now 14 months ago.
There could yet be a sting in the tail, however, as Button is under investigation by the stewards for a collision with Fernando Alonso in his Ferrari that resulted in the double world champion retiring.
How Button managed such a win is a remarkable story as he pitted six times in total, five occasions for tyres and once for a drive-through penalty for speeding behind the safety car.
In particular, though, he was also involved in an accident with McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton, resulting in his retirement.
Button was naturally emotional given what had transpired over the preceding few hours as the race also involved a two-hour delay for torrential rain.
"I really don't know what to say, it's been an emotional three hours," said Button.
"Regarding the incident with Lewis I didn't see him and I've apologised to him. We both agree it was one of those things.
"For me it was a fantastic race. Even if I hadn't won I would have enjoyed this race immensely, but it's a win, definitely my best.
Vettel, who led for the majority of the race through all the chaos, said: "Of course I'm disappointed.
"I was probably too conservative at the last safety car and I did not open up enough of a gap.
"Then when it came down to the fight at the end the mistake was down to me, I locked up the rear. When there is only one line I ended up in the wet
"It is still a good day as many mistakes were made and cars did not finish, yet we've picked up good points."
Vettel, who has opened up a 60-point lead to Button, added: "When you've got it in your hands and you give it away, it's not the sweetest of feelings."
The stewards then later confirmed that despite investigating a number of incidents post-race, including two involving Button, there were no further penalties.

No comments:

Post a Comment